5 Common Mould Removal Myths & Mistakes

The 5 Most Common Mould Removal Myths & Mistakes


1. Using the incorrect products and not killing the spores

A common myth is that bleach will kill mould, this is unfortunately incorrect. Bleach only removes the colour from the mould but does not kill the spores.

Bleach and chlorine-based cleaners also cause damage by eating away at the grout and etching the tiles turning beautiful natural stone or unglazed tiles cloudy permanently. The grout will eventually become brittle & unstable and will start to crumble away.

Using bleach often can also make air quality worse and potentially cause respiratory irritation, blurred vision, watery eyes and nausea, among others. it is especially dangerous to mix bleach with other chemicals.

2. Taking too long to address the mould growth

Most people think mould takes weeks to grow and spread, 24 to 48 hours is all mould and mildew actually need to develop after water exposure. Growth will continue until the source of moisture is eliminated and the spores are destroyed. Even a small water spill on a bathroom shelf can turn into a mouldy mess if left unattended.

The moment mould is spotted, it’s time to take action.

3. Painting or applying silicone over mould

Although you may see “mould-resistant” paint and silicone at your local hardware store, applying it over mould-affected surfaces will not kill the mould, it can actually cause more issues in the long run.

Keep in mind that these mould-resistant paints and silicones don’t guarantee mould won’t grow on surfaces, as long as the mould has been treated before application and it has been applied properly, they can help prevent re-growth temporarily.

4. Not looking for the cause of the mould

The leading cause of mould is moisture. If a room is humid, not ventilated properly or has a leak, mould will grow back even if the spores have been killed.

Here are some tips to help prevent mould growth in the first place:

  • Keep humidity levels below 50%. Adding a dehumidifier can help.
  • If there is a leak, it’s imperative to repair it as soon as possible.
  • Vent bathrooms and clothes dryers to the outside.
  • Seal bathroom grouts to help waterproof your walls and floors.
  • Use an exhaust fan or open the doors and/or windows to let moisture escape during and after showering.
  • Leave the shower curtain or door open to help the room dry after a shower.

5. Allowing yourself to be exposed to mould

It can take anywhere from 1 to 9 hours after mould exposure to start developing symptoms such as a stuffy nose, wheezing, and red or itchy eyes and skin. Those with allergies, asthma, compromised immune systems or respiratory issues should be extra careful when it comes to mould as mould exposure symptoms can cause serious problems.

When cleaning mould, you must remember that mould spores can travel in the air, to limit your exposure, PPE such as long rubber gloves, eye protection and a mask is recommended. Getting help for your mould issues may be the safest and most effective option, call your local GroutPro specialist today.